This Big City Dallas gal has enjoyed East Texas Getaways since I was a teenager! My family has a ranch in East Texas, and Will’s family is from East Texas. For over 30 years, I have sought out fun things to do in East Texas Small Towns. Here’s a great list for day-trip activities perfect for folks of all ages!
10 East Texas Getaways
Generally speaking, East Texas is considered to be the region east of Interstate 45, and west of the Louisiana border. The northern border is Oklahoma, while the southern edge is the Gulf of Mexico. East Texas has 38 counties, full of really charming towns and fun activities for couples, families, or anyone who just wants to get out and enjoy a beautiful part of Texas!
Here’s my recommendations for East Texas Getaways:
- Pick Your Own Blueberries at Blueberry Hill Farm in Edom. I have been picking blueberries here since my teenage years. My kids used to go with me when they were younger, and contributed their picked berries to my annual Blueberry Jam cooking sessions. Recently, Will and I picked blueberries together, and had a fun time!! Word to the wise: it get’s HOT, as blueberries grow in full sun, so start this activity early in the day!
- The Tyler Municipal Rose Garden boasts 14-acres, with more than 38,000 rose bushes, fountains, gazebos & walking paths. I would not blame you for taking a picture of every rose you see. Who does not love a gorgeous rose? Again, this is a full-sun situation, and Texas is….hot. So go early! And then, cool off at The Grove, one of my favorite restaurants in Tyler!
- For those of you who crave a little more adventure, Texas Zip Line Adventures in Larue, is a lot of fun! Yes, I’ve done it. My kids have done it. It’s a TON of fun!!!!
- The Texas State Railroad is one of the most fun East Texas getaways! You can board the train in either Palestine or Rusk, and there’s lots of special themed rides to enjoy as well!
- One of my favorite East Texas Small Towns is Jefferson! Dozens of B&B’s to choose from, great restaurants and shopping, tons of History, and so much more! Click here to read my full Blog Post on visiting Jefferson.
- Add the Edwin L. Cox, Jr., Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center (TFFC) to your list of places to visit! Combining visitation and outdoor education with a production fish hatchery. Its mission is to provide an educational, entertaining visitor experience that promotes freshwater sport fishing and the enhancement, conservation and stewardship of aquatic resources in Texas. I bet I’ve taken friends and family there a zillion times. It’s located in Athens.
- Who loves Strawberry Cake? I think it’s 100% reasonable to visit East Texas, if only to gobble up a slice of delicious cake at Ritual, in Jacksonville. In this post, I shared all the details about the cutest Luncheonette in East Texas!
- OK. Y’all KNOW how much I love a good Flea Market. Well, First Monday Trade Days in Canton will always hold a special place in my heart. I’ve been treasure hunting there since the early 1980’s, and love it still today. With over 6000 dealers, there’s BOUND to be a treasure or two just waiting to be discovered. Keep in mind, the Flea Market is open the Thursday-Sunday BEFORE the First Monday of the month.
- There are several Texas State Parks in East Texas. Check out my recommendations in this Blog Post.
- Can’t visit Paris? SURE you can! Paris, Texas that is. And there’s an Eiffel Tower, y’all. Because Texas is just that awesome!
Know these places well from Nickey growing up there! So enjoyed your post!! Great area to get away from things and relax!
Love our East Texas boys!!!! xoxo